[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolving short names

Brad Morgan b-morgan at concentric.net
Mon May 30 17:45:39 BST 2011

> I have a small home network with several nodes, some static ips,
> others from dnsmasq's dhcp server.  all have same netmask and class.

> Three of the nodes( two servers, one client) are Windows Active
> Directory domain members using the windows dns service for a different
> domain name.

> Most of the clients on the dnsmasq side are able to resolve short
> names just fine.

I think you are trying to add too much complexity to this configuration. If
dnsmasq is your dhcp server, then assign static addresses to the three
Windows domain members, add entries in the /etc/hosts file for them, and be
done with it. The Windows DNS server uses dnsmasq as its upstream server to
allow the Windows domain members to resolve the names of the other nodes in
your configuration.

An alternate plan would be to use Windows DNS and Windows DHCP instead of
dnsmasq. My guess is that this isn't ideal because the Windows domain isn't
up 100% of the time.

I have a similar configuration. My Windows domain is all virtual machines
which are down unless I need to debug or research something domain related.

Regards,

Brad