[Dnsmasq-discuss] Same IP-Address for Wired and Wireless using /etc/ethers

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue May 31 15:43:15 BST 2011

On 31/05/2011 14:20, Simon Kelley wrote:
> You can't solve it using /etc/ethers. The format and semantics of that
> file are standardised and dnsmasq can't change it. What you need to do
> is this: stop using  /etc/ethers, and instead use --dhcp-hostsfile to
> read an equivalent file in dhcp-host format, that file can include lines
> with multiple MAC addresses in
>
> 11:22:33:44:55:66,12:34:56:78:90:12,192.168.0.60

Curiously I made the same mistake.  However, note that every commandline
arg (correct?) can also be used as a directive in the .conf file

Therefore I used "dhcp-hostsfile /etc/blah" in my config file

Simon, unless you already changed it, I think the config example could
benefit from adding such an example *above* the ethers example?  My
limited understanding is that this is probably slightly preferred to
using "ethers", which is a compatible format with other programs?

Cool feature anyway - use it to keep my SSH sessions alive no matter
whether on wired/wireless.

Cheers

Ed W