[Dnsmasq-discuss] [suggestion] tiny embedded web server

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 08:18:53 BST 2011

<quote>
- Boa/thttpd - Both small, but unmaintained for a while? - Monkeyd - very
lightweight and pretty functional. Maintained. Appears to be the modern
ultra-micro webserver of choice? - nginx - Who would have thought it was
actually so small... 380KB for a reasonably standard install, 260KB for a
minimal build. Well maintained with a development goal of being fast, secure and
low memory
</quote>
Hi,

I too tried a few "tiny" web-servers, including Monkey HTTP.
What Monkey lacks (for now) is an 'Alias' directive.

I also found Mongoose: http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/
Pretty straightforward and I liked it very much.

I also tried lighttpd and will soon try out nginx.

For what I originally needed, sifting through Apache's docs and then
cooking up a small configuration file was sufficient for me and
I am living with it for now.

I am definitely keeping an eye out for the following:
Monkey HTTP Daemon: http://www.monkey-project.com/
Mongoose Web Server: http://code.google.com/p/mongoose/
Nginx: http://nginx.net/
LIGHTTPD: http://www.lighttpd.net/

P.S.
I did have an (evil?) :D thought of investigating how I could go about
merging the two file source code within 'dnsmasq', but that will have wait
for now (Hardly any time) :)

Regards,
Shantanu