[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two DNSMasq questions / feature requests

Rob Zwissler rob at zwissler.org
Fri Aug 19 19:33:00 BST 2011

Hi, I'm a huge fan of DNSMasq, it's great software, I'm very appreciative to
the authors for putting in the work and though they have.  I really like the
flexibility and design of it, it's great.  I have two questions, or perhaps
feature requests, depending on the answers :)

1) Is it possible to override command line options in the config file?
 Something like a "-dhcp-authoritative" directive in the config file which
could then override a "dnsmasq -K" command line option would be very helpful
in my deployments.

2) Is it possible to alias a domain?  One of my clients has a long & tedious
Windows domain (like LongCompanyName.local).  It's hosted on a Windows DNS
server, so I use server=/LongCompanyName.local/windows_server_ip directive,
but it would be great if I could also shorten it up, so rewrite dns requests
like server-1.lc would be synonymous with server-1.LongCompanyName.local,
and rewritten as DNSMasq hits the upstream server.

Rob