[Dnsmasq-discuss] leases being removed from lease file on startup

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 00:33:38 GMT 2011

http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/

> ...it has much better handling of no internet cases.

Web site says:

"For isolated systems, the user can periodically enter the correct time
by hand (using Chronyc)."

Aside from the ability to manually set the time (is that novel?), how
does it better handle an intermittently connected node?

> If you don't have an RTC then a poor mans solution is to "occasionally"
> set some file mtime to a current time...

Yeah, I thought of that, but in general consumer routers use EEPROM for
non-volatile storage, which doesn't take kindly to frequent writes. It
could be set to update the timestamp at a fairly low frequency - every
10 minutes...or even once an hour.

In my case I happen to have an 8 GB USB Flash drive attached to the
router, so with wear leveling, it would take a long time to wear it out.
(With a 10 minute update rate, it would take about 2 years to wear out
one block, and wear leveling will distribute writes so that should last
decades.)

Another option would be to stick a cheap $30 router somewhere on the LAN
and use it as a dedicated NTP server.

> Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions.

 -Tom