[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMASQ Logging and

gcmartin3 at netscape.net gcmartin3 at netscape.net
Sat Nov 12 21:49:16 GMT 2011

I am a user of DNSMASQ that has it installed on a Puppy Linux distro.The Puppy distro starts normally, acquiring a DHCP address automatically from an upstream router.

DNSMASQ is installed via the Puppy distro's package manager. There are no broken issues with DNSMASQ. To start DNSMASQ, there is NO configuration file present or used to start the DNSMASQ server. The server supports Netbooting other PCs on the LAN.

First
I understand that DNSMASQ can log using dnsmasq's "log directly to a file" feature, or logging via a syslog daemon. So my very first question is
Can I have DNSMASQ tell me where its logging and if so, how?

Note/Hint: (When the "Netboot server " is stated from the Menu, it ask whether I want a normal start, ?which means no desktop status window or do I want a "debug" start, which means open a status progress window showing PXE/TFTP progresses.)

Next
Netbooting (PXE) is working perfectly. The clients request service, obtain service, use service to load, and detach from the PXE service properly. On the server, when status window is open, the events are logged in the screen. But, there is no time associated with the ?events.

Is there a feature or command or edit I can use to set timestamps the events captured in the log?

This is a fantastic product, even though, for now, we are ONLY using a "very" minimal portion of its ability.

If you want a description of how it is used in Puppy, see here ===> http://www.muhttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1623147121&t=64107rga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1623147121&t=64107

Thanks in advance for any help