[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS updates with dnsmasq in proxydhcp mode

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:18:44 GMT 2011

Στις 22-11-2011, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 12:49 +0000, ο/η Simon Kelley
έγραψε:
> The IP address is allocated by the "real" DHCP server and dnsmasq never
> gets to see that information, so it can know the name, but not the
> address. Hence it can't provide a DNS record, sorry.

Simon thank you for the answer,

OK so I'll put an if-up.d script in the clients to do the DNS update.

I can think of a clumsy way to do it, i.e.
1) The if-up script would use nc to send the info to the server,
2) An inetd-based daemon on the server would get the info and append
   it to an -addn-hosts file
3) And finally the daemon would HUP dnsmasq to re-read that file.

Any more elegant way to do DNS updates in our less-than-ideal use case?