[Dnsmasq-discuss] Poll Times on /etc/hosts?

Shaun Forsyth (Function 28) shaun at function28.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 11:47:21 GMT 2011

I'm sure this has been asked a lot of times, however every Google I get
tells me that it may be slower if I use multiple /etc/resolve which is
nothing near what I'm looking for.

I have just switched to dnsmasq from dhcpd v3 as it seems to be a better
option using the hosts file instead of a local copy of our DNS Zone. I'm
using local DNS for development URLs internally.

However to the question, when does DNSmasq update from /etc/hosts? From
small bits I have read, it suggests that it checks the file mod time,
however I can add an entry to the hosts file, flush my windows DNS cache..
ping the entry and I still get a fully resolved address instead of the entry
in the hosts file. If I issue reload to dnsmasq and then follow my procedure
it works as expected. So when does DNSmasq update from the hosts file, can I
make it more aggressive in its checking?