[Dnsmasq-discuss] Issues when i use dnsmasq with --add-mac

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Dec 8 14:00:13 GMT 2011

On 08/12/11 13:54, ramakanth varala wrote:
> I would like to add some more information here as...
>
> my dns server gives me error as Standar Query Response, Format error
>
> when i use --add-mac with dnsmasq.
>

> On 12/8/11, ramakanth varala<ramakanth.varala at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I am using dnsmasq-2.56 , as dhcp and dns sever in my target board.
>>
>> What i find is when i run dnsmasq with --add-mac , the lan side system
>> could not able to resolve the dns requests.
>>
>> am i missing any thing here..?
>>
>> It would be helpfull for me if any body give there views on this
>>
>> regards

add-mac puts the extra information in a part of the DNS packet which is
only standardised quite recently, and it uses an unofficial tag to do
it, so it's possible that the resolver code either doesn't know about
EDSN0 or is being picky about unknown tags.

A further possibility is that the dnsmasq code is buggy: this feature is
not likely to be well used and therefore well tested. Can you use
tcpdump or wireshark to get dumps of the packets involved?