[Dnsmasq-discuss] Name found in /etc/hosts forwarded for AAAA

Schneidhuber, Bruno b.schneidhuber at pharmatechnik.de
Tue Dec 13 10:36:01 GMT 2011

Hello,

unfortunately there are not all names in the same domain.
And I am not in control of the real name server. As far as I know the admin of the real server, it is likely that this server is missconfigured.

A tcpdump of my machine doesn't show any outwards IPv6 traffic. There are a view AAAA-Records sent to the real server, which won't be answered.
Finally there is sent a MX-Record, which apparently is answered.
So I think, this is not an IPv6 problem.

The answer of dnsmasq looks like this:

host.subdomain.de has address 172.30.90.212

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Bruno Schneidhuber
Teamleiter Entwicklung Systemintegration

PHARMATECHNIK GmbH & Co. KG
Geschäftsstelle Passau, Neuburger Straße 128, 94036 Passau

Tel.: +49 851 98865-0, Fax: +49 851 98865-198
b.schneidhuber at pharmatechnik.de,<mailto:b.schneidhuber at pharmatechnik.de> www.pharmatechnik.de<http://www.pharmatechnik.de>

Am Dienstag, den 13.12.2011, 10:04 +0000 schrieb Simon Kelley:

On 12/12/11 08:54, Schneidhuber, Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> even if dnsmasq finds a name in /etc/hosts, it forwards a name query to
> the real dns server. These servers dont't find the name and the name
> query doesn't return until the query to the real servers times out.
> As I understand from mails from the archive this is to query the AAAA
> Record and this behaviour is intended.
> For severel reasons I have a lot of IPv4-only /etc/hosts. So this
> behaviour isn't desirable for me.
> Until now I changed the source code, but I don't want to do this for
> every release.
>
> Now two questions:
>
> - Is there a posibility to stop this behaviour?

Are all the names in the same domain?

something like

local=/mydomain.com/

will stop all forwarding for *.mydomain.com. A and AAAA requests, but
not block A record answers that come from /etc/hosts.

I realise that this useless advise, if you don't have control, but the
real nameservers shouldn't be taking a long time to time out on AAAA
queries, so getting them fixed may be a solution.

> - Did I wrote complete nonsens?

No, but it's possible that you have missed the real problem: is the long
timeout a result of a client getting an IPv6 answer and then attempting
to make an IPv6 connection to a server? If that's the problem then
disabling IPv6 in the network configuration (or making it work) may be a
better solution.

Simon.