[Dnsmasq-discuss] New here, and looking for some help

M kiwirider777 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 06:42:45 GMT 2011

Hi all.

I won't post configs etc yet this message, want to get the basic system
up and running first - just trying a reinstall after some suggestions
from Simon - basically because I'm building a server at home for another
network I kinda screwed some things up. Reinstall might help fix that :)

Anyways, what I want to achieve is a network with the basic following
layout :

eth0 - talks to the outside world.

eth1 (10.0.1.1) - 10.0.1.10 - 10.0.1.254 - Limited internet access, some
sites not available to machines connected to this

eth2 (10.0.2.1) - 10.0.2.10 - 10.0.2.254 - full access to the few
machines connected here.

Could also have eth1 do up to .100 and eth2 do .101-254.

I'm certain that DNSMasq should be capable of doing this, but am not
quite sure how to do it. I'd rather have pointers in the right direction
than a full guide, and only get extra help if I need it. I retain the
information better by having to learn to do it myself :)

One thing that might be important early on - eventually this box will be
running a website, and of course I want the URL to point back to the
machine, however if I have 10.0.1.x and 10.0.2.x addresses, I can see I
might run into issues with getting each branch to point to the right
place. In this case, would it be better to keep everything under the
.1.x range? After all, we''ll never have more than 30 machines connected
at any one time, and most of the time only 10 on an extreme day.

Thanks for any suggestions. Configs etc (or parts thereof) will follow
as requested/needed.

Thanks all,
Mike