[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq + dhclient + vpnc = DNS falls over

Ashton Fagg ashton at fagg.id.au
Wed Jan 11 06:43:41 GMT 2012

Hi all.

I'm currently having a weird problem with an embedded PC. The machine is
running Voyage Linux 0.5 (quite an old version, based on Debian Etch).
Currently it's running dnsmasq version 2.35 (unfortunately no real way
to get a new version running, sorry).

The machine is set up to connect back to our LAN using VPNC. When the
VPN is disconnected and it's merely just plugged into our LAN in the
office, dhclient is set up to prepend 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS
servers. Looking at /etc/resolv.conf reveals this, 127.0.0.1 with the
two nameservers which come in via DHCP. When the VPN is connected,
/etc/resolv.conf gets modified by vpnc to show the DNS servers allocated
on the tunnel interface.

The issue is that eventually (and we think this has something to do with
the dhcp lease renewing) the DNS completely falls over and fails to
resolve anything, with only a reboot bringing it back. I'm not sure if
this is dnsmasq, vpnc, dhclient or some combination thereof and have no
idea where to start troubleshooting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ash
--