[Dnsmasq-discuss] UDP DNS Requests

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 18:02:35 GMT 2012

On 11/01/12 17:47, Mike Owens wrote:
> I was hoping for some more ideas on why DNS won't respond to UDP
> requests but responds just fine to TCP requests. I've trimmed down the
> dnsmasq.conf file to the minimum for what I need. The conf is in my last
> message. I've commented out all unnecessary enties in the host file.
> I've disabled access to the resolv.conf file. I am explicitly
> referencing one and only one DNS server for forwarding. The referenced
> DNS server responds to UDP requests just fine. I've disabled and removed
> the firewall on the dnsmasq machine. What are the other possible causes
> of not receiving responses from UDP requests?

Broadly, there's several places that the query could get lost, either
it's not getting to dnsmasq, or dnsmasq isn't forwarding it, or dnsmasq
is forwading it and it's not getting upstream or it's getting upstream
and the reply is getting lost.

Setting

log-queries

and examining the log should tell you which of these is true, but I
don't think we've seen any logs posted for UDP queries.

Can you dig <domain> @127.0.0.1 on the machine running dnsmasq?