[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq with Gigantic hosts file

Jan Seiffert kaffeemonster at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:44:21 GMT 2012

2012/1/11 Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>:
> On 11/01/12 18:15, Jan Seiffert wrote:
>>
>> 2012/1/11 Simon Kelley<simon at thekelleys.org.uk>:
[snip]

>>> Try commenting out the code around line 650 in cache.c which starts with
>>> big comment block explaining the tweak I mention above, starting
>>>
>>> /* Ensure there is only one address ->  name mapping (first one trumps)
>>>
>>> If goes fast then I've guessed right. Assuming I have, there are various
>>> solutions: add hashing for by-adddress cache lookups,
>>

>> Should i refresh my reverse tree code?
>> Nice thing was it was so unintrusive, so small device could disable it,
>

> Remind me: I remember the regex patch, but not that one.

The patch in:
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2007q1/001120.html
Or should i attach it again?

> I've thought about this a bit more, and I think it's pretty easy to hash the
> addresses only during the process of reading hostsfiles with basically no
> extra resource: There is a pointer field in cache entries which is unused at
> that time, and could be used to hold an open-hash chain. All that's needed
> is an array of pointers, one per hash bucket, which can be freed once files
> are read.

*mumbel, mumbel*
While i envy your genius, and are intrigued by the nifty trick, this
is on the verge of ... insanity?

Ok, ok, a reverse tree is "complicated", but would put the whole
reverse thing to rest, also during runtime.
I mean now Preston seems to be slowed down during read in, but i guess
later reverse lookups will also not be fast due to the sheer number of
unique IP/hosts.

[snip]

> Cheers,
>

> Simon.

Greetings
Jan

--
Remember to eat a healthy breakfast, for tonight we dine in hell!