[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP over 2 NICs

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Feb 28 16:33:00 GMT 2012

Hallo,

on 2 schools in the neighbourhood we try to connect clients with the
server (DHCP and many other services) via DHCP.

With 1 NIC all works fine, something like

  interface=eth0
  dhcp-range=192.168.0.220,192.168.0.240,3d

allows static addresses (defined on the client), DHCP addresses defined
by "dhcp-host=..." and "free" addresses from the above range.

When we install a second NIC (especially for the private smartphones
etc) and add the lines

  interface=eth1
  dhcp-range=192.168.4.10,192.168.4.250,1d

then we can see that pinging over the second card works, routing too.
When "dnsmasq" gets started then it also tells the new dhcp range.

But if the client has no fixed address then it never gets an IP address
for the second NIC. We had reduced the range for the first card, we
remmed it out - nothing did help.

How have we to tell dnsmasq using the second card (and its dhcp range)
too?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut