[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature Request(s)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Mar 15 20:35:30 GMT 2012

On 14/03/12 23:55, Rob Zwissler wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>wrote:
>>
>> /etc/hosts syntax would be difficult to translate into equivalent
>> command line options, for consistency, something like
>>
>> --a-record = <name>,<address>
>> --aaaa-record = <name>, <address>
>>
>> and
>>
>> --host-record = <name>, <address>
>>
>> which does a both forward and backwards would be possible, I've
>> considered this before, but most people seem to like to split off such
>> data into a separate /etc/hosts or another hosts-like file
>>

> If you're taking votes, I'd like to see this, it'd be nice to have one
> centralized file for a dns config.  It would be nice to keep SRV/TXT
> records right next to their matching A record, bind style.  Having PTRs in
> the same file would put you one step above bind :)
>
> Maybe take it one step further,
> CNAMEs right there too.
>
> Rob

All the other DNS record-creation options (txt-record, ptr-record,
naptr-record, srv-host, mx-host) take the name as first argument,
followed by target(s), so it would be good to follow that, however
something more flexible is possible, by allowing an arbitrary number of
 names followed by an IPv4 address, an IPv6 address, or both

--host-record = thekelleys.org, www.thekelleys.org, 1.2.3.4, 1234::11

As usual, the first name gets the PTR record, so 'dig -x 1.2.3.4'
returns thekelleys.org in my example.

Next question, should "expand-hosts" work on the names as it does in
/etc/hosts, but doesn't in txt-record and friends?