[Dnsmasq-discuss] proxy dhcp does not send dhcp-options

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 10:41:09 BST 2012

On 10/04/12 10:15, Jochen Dekeyser wrote:
> I looked into the pxespec.pdf and the RFC's 2131 and 2132. If I get
> this right, theoretically, it is possible, but it probably has never
> been implemented?
>
> So, I will be looking for other solutions :-).

It's tricky. Most systems which PXE-boot do so in two phases. First the
PXE ROM does it's stuff which includes getting a DHCP lease and all the
PXE information. The PXE ROM then downloads a boot loader (ie PXELinux)
which has access to the IP address and any other information the PXE
subsystem gets. The bootloader then downloads and runs the Linux kernel
and the system starts. It then does DHCP _again_, using the normal Linux
DHCP client.

The first stage could conceivably use information from the proxy server,
but I don't know of any Linux DHCP clients that will even try and talk
to a PXE-proxy. Since the stuff you're sending looks like it's needed
for the running system, using a DHCP-proxy is a non-starter.

An alternative solution looks good :-)