[Dnsmasq-discuss] Error returning query result from FreeBSD jail

David Nelson dave at dnel.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 18:30:53 BST 2012

Hi,
I have been trying to get dnsmasq 2.60.1 working on my FreeNAS server
within a FreeBSD 8.2 jail without any luck.

Dnsmasq is able to receive requests, resolve them either by the local
hosts file or external dns servers but then it can't reply back to the
enquirer.

Running in --no-daemon the logs for a local lookup look like this:

dnsmasq: started, version 2.60 cachesize 150
dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus i18n IDN DHCP
DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack
dnsmasq: reading /etc/resolv.conf
dnsmasq: using nameserver 212.23.6.100#53
dnsmasq: using nameserver 212.23.3.100#53
dnsmasq: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
dnsmasq: query[A] athena from 192.168.x.104
dnsmasq: /etc/hosts athena is 192.168.x.6
dnsmasq: failed to send packet: Invalid argument
dnsmasq: query[A] www.google.com from 192.168.x.104
dnsmasq: cached www.google.com is <CNAME>
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.105
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.104
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.103
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.99
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.147
dnsmasq: cached www.l.google.com is 209.85.147.106
dnsmasq: failed to send packet: Invalid argument

Running dnsmasq with a simple config or defaults makes no difference,
it's a fairly bare environment but I do have other servers running in
the jail which have no issues, I'm out of clue, could anyone provide some?

TIA,
Dave Nelson