[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolve subdomains / name-based vhosts

go4unkwn at hushmail.com go4unkwn at hushmail.com
Mon Apr 16 05:23:41 BST 2012

Hello rob0

Thank you for your answer.

You are right. I realize that my knowledge about dns and vhosts has
"big" gaps.
So i'm going to learn more about the concept of HTTP virtual hosts.

But my i ask you another question related to you last explanation:

"The WAN IP address has nothing to do with this. The whole point of
dnsmasq is to have the external names resolve to internal
addresses."

Why does the WAN IP Address nothing to do with this?

Let's say a student is at home using his laptop/browser to access
foo1.example.edu.
Let's say a have registered example.edu as a domain and uses
dyn.com name-servers,
so that foo1.example.edu leads to my WAN IP address (my router).

So, even the WAN IP address is necessary to find my router from the
WAN site,
the WAN IP isn't involved in finding foo1.example.edu.

If you have the time, could you explain it in more detail.

SORRY for my english!

Kind regards, go4unkwn