[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk.

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 18:51:49 BST 2012

Hello,

I proposed using dnsmasq as the default DHCP/TFTP server for LTSP
instead of isc-dhcp/tftpd-hpa, but the following problems were
mentioned, and I was wondering if there are plans to solve them in the
future, or if there are ways around them.

1) From http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/FAQ:
"The wait for a reply is between two and three
seconds. Because the DHCP server is not re-entrant, it cannot serve
other DHCP requests during this time. To avoid dropping requests,
the address probe may be skipped when dnsmasq is under heavy load."

Specifically, a user reported that he couldn't boot all his 100 clients
at once because their PXE stack "only" waited for 15 seconds for a DHCP
lease. Since in LTSP it's too risky to use the --no-ping option, is
there any way to use dnsmasq to boot e.g. >20 clients simultaneously?

2) A user wanted to dynamically create TFTP files with a hook script,
and while tftpd-hpa gave him that ability, he wasn't able to find a way
to do it with dnsmasq.

3) Optionally, we'd like to use dnsmasq as a caching DNS server for LTSP
clients too, but a problem with cache poisoning was mentioned. Could
this be a TODO item as well?

Thank you very much,
Alkis Georgopoulos