[Dnsmasq-discuss] Slow response to DHCPDISCOVER

Adrian May adrian.may at oregan.net
Mon Apr 23 12:02:41 BST 2012

Hi all,

I get the same result with dnsmasq, dhcp3-server and isc, namely, that
the client has to send several DHCPDISCOVER packets before the server
finally responds after about 30 seconds. This is breaking a couple of
embedded platforms because they aren't that patient, and I have no way
of configuring that.

Why don't DHCP servers just respond to the first DHCPDISCOVER?
Especially when I made them authoritative?

I think I might have seen in the logs that the dhcp processes aren't
even getting the earlier packets, even though the machine is. It's as if
they get discarded by the networking layer. This is a ubuntu server
10.04 machine.

Any ideas?

Adrian.