[Dnsmasq-discuss] Slow response to DHCPDISCOVER

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Apr 24 15:31:29 BST 2012

On 24/04/12 04:21, Adrian May wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> In the meantime I installed ClearOS, which uses dnsmasq. Now the PCs get
> served fast but my embedded boards are still not getting IPs. If I plug
> these embedded boards into my 10 dollar domestic router, they get an IP
> instantly. I already tried setting bootp-dynamic and dhcp-broadcast in
> the config. If I grep everything under /var/log for dnsmasq, there's no
> evidence that requests were even received from these boards. So I still
> suspect the networking layer.
>
> As for the boards themselves, I'm not entirely sure what they do.
> They've got some kind of embedded linux. One boots into yamon where I
> can only say "net init", the other into something of its own invention
> where I start udhcpc.
>
> I tried no-ping but it had no effect. I can't get my brain around your
> tag system. I've just been writing things like bootp-dynamic with no
> tags right in the main config file, or in the case of ClearOS, in the
> dhcp config file which is referenced from the main config file. Could it
> be that these settings have no effect unless I attach some tags, or put
> them inside a subnet declaration?

No tags -> applies everywhere, so that's not the problem.

Do you have some combination of --interface, --listen-address and
--dhcp-except that's telling dnsmasq not to do DHCP on the network these
things are plugged into? Can you plug a laptop or something into the
same port and get a DHCP lease?

If you can narrow it down to just these embedded boards, then we'll have
to start looking at packet dumps.