[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.61 no periodic RA's

Jim Bos jim876 at xs4all.nl
Sun May 6 21:58:26 BST 2012

On 05/06/2012 08:17 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 06/05/12 15:59, Jim Bos wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been trying the new router-advertisement and seems to work well.
>> For the moment I'm just doing RA, no state-full dhcp yet.
>>
>> But what I'm seeing is everything works but as there is no periodic RA
>> (I've been monitoring with wireshark) is sent, so the advertised default
>> route times out after 1800s and ipv6 routing is lost.
>>
>> I have only these relevant ipv6 statements now:
>>
>> dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]
>> dhcp-range=2001:XXXX:XXXX:fd::, ra-stateless, ra-names
>> enable-ra
>>
>> When I restart dnsmasq, I *do* see an RTR-ADVERT in the logs and an
>> actual RA on the wire.
>>
>> So what's preventing periodic RA's being sent or what am I missing ?
>>

> I think this is a bug: There's a different code-path used to trigger
> periodic RAs when no DHCP is configured.
>
> If I'm right, then
>
> kill -ALRM <pid of dnsmasq> should start periodic RA's and configuring
> any DHCP service, IPv4 or IPv6 should also make things work.
>

> Please let us know if this works, if it does I'll make a patch ASAP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Sending ALRM doesn't appear to trigger anything neither does a HUP
signal. Firing up another PC with dhcpv4 does cause dnsmasq to generate
a single RA

May  6 22:40:20 hostXX dnsmasq-dhcp[10751]: RTR-ADVERT(eth0)
2001:XXXX:XXXX:fd::
May  6 22:40:20 hostXX dnsmasq-dhcp[10751]: SLAAC-CONFIRM(eth0)
2001:XXXX:XXXX:fd:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:9718 hostYY

[ Weird thing is, I'm pretty sure it did work yesterday. Could there be
an uninitialized variable somewhere? ]

Thanks,
  Jim.