[Dnsmasq-discuss] A (possibly bad) idea: failover in dnsmasq

Don Muller don at djmuller.com
Sun May 27 13:58:05 BST 2012

I could be way off base here but here is my 2 cents.

Maybe a better idea is to have all dnsmasq instances talking to each other listing each one with something like

partner=<ip or dns name>
partner=<ip or dns name>

Also add two more statements. One for the primary and one for the secondaries.

primary=yes

secondary=1 or 2 or 3 etc

Each secondary has a differenet number and when the primary fails the secondary with the lowest number takes over until the primary comes back online. You could say that master=0.

Maybe add a heartbeat statement that specifies how often the master will send keepalive messages out so everyone else knows he is still alive and well.

Don