[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple IPv6 Global addresses being assigned when using Router Advertisement

Chris O'Shea oshea.chris.james at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:33:55 BST 2012

Good Morning all,

I have noticed some behaviour with assigning IPv6 using dnsmasq which
to me seems a bit strange and I wanted to bring it to your attention
in case it is not meant to be as such.

If I am running IPv6 DHCP range with ra-stateless and I have the
ra-enable option set my client machine is assigned two seperate IPv6
addresses from the same prefix.

for example:

domain-needed
no-resolv
local=/me.com/
domain=me.com
no-dhcp-interface=eth0
no-dhcp-interface=eth2
expand-hosts
dhcp-range=fd00:ead5:c0a8:103::,ra-stateless
ra-enable
dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]
log-queries
log-dhcp

A client machine would then receive the a Global IPv6 address on the
correct prefix comprising of its MAC address (with the obligatory
FFFE), but it would also be assigned a secondary Global IPv6 address
on the same prefix - although this one appears to be randomly
generated.

Even though both ra-stateless and ra-enable are set I would only
expect a single address to be assigned to anyone client.

Best Regards,

Chris.