[Dnsmasq-discuss] server-side dynamic resolving

Chris Wilson chris+dnsmasq at aptivate.org
Mon Aug 13 16:17:49 BST 2012

Hi Travis,

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Travis Hansen wrote:

>> Bind doesn't do it, the client does. CNAME works like this:
>>
>> client -> nsswitch -> server: what's the address of 15z.foo.bar?
>> client <- nsswitch <- server: 15z.foo.bar is a CNAME to 15z.local.
>> client -> nsswitch -> mdns: what's the address of 15z.local?
>> client <- nsswitch <- mdns: 15z.local is at 1.2.3.4
>>
>> This assumes that nsswitch on the clients is configured to use mdns as well
>> as dns, which on my system (Ubuntu 11.10) it is.
>
> Awesome!  I believe that will work.  Now I just need to figure out how
> to get bind/dnsmasq to play nicely together on the same machine :)  If
> you've got tips let me konw.  In any case I'll report back.
>
> Just so I understand the first step mentioned above for my particular
> setup.  Would it be like this?
>
> client -> nsswitch -> server dnsmasq: what's the address of
> 15z.foo.bar -> server bind: what's the address of 15z.foo.bar

If you're going to run bind and dnsmasq on the same machine, yes. I was
assuming however that you already have someone serving the 15z.foo.bar
zone with a full nameserver, and you could just configure that to return
CNAMEs. Running a real DNS server and dnsmasq on the same host might be
tricky. You might need to add an IP alias on the server and bind bind to
that alias, and dnsmasq's DNS server to the main IP address.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.