[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question on TFTP - server with multiple NIC?

K R kiwirider777 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:59:32 BST 2012

Hi all,

Situation : I work in a small computer repair shop. For a number of the
tools we use PXE will be a good option. For the security of our clients
and to keep costs down I am building a single server which has 2 NIC's -
one for machines known to be clean  and one as a "red zone" for machines
that we believe are infected - neither zone will be able to see the
other however both should be able to access the shared directories on
and the net through the server  (also acts as gateway/firewall etc).

Initially to make life easier for the boss (who has very little Linux
experience) I rejected DNSMasq for the system as it doesn't have a
currently supported Webmin module (as far as I can tell), and have built
the system based on tftpd-hpa and bind9.

Now that I have the second NIC installed, I am running into some issues
where a specific IP address has been defined, and wondering how well
DNSMasq would handle this?

Eg :

Label YLMF
         MENU LABEL ^YLMF
         LINUX /linux/ylmf/casper/vmlinuz
         APPEND root=/dev/nfs boot=casper netboot=nfs
nfsroot=10.0.1.1:/tftp/linux/ylmf initrd=/linux/ylmf/casper/initrd.img
quiet splash --

Doesn't work for a machine connected on the 10.0.2.x side of the
network, and as stated above 10.0.1.x and 10.0.2.x should never mix.
10.0.1.x works beautifully, but due to being short an NIC I never
started on the 10.0.2.x stuff until tonight.

I suspect if I was to replace nfsroot=10.0.1.1:... to
nfsroot=domainname: it might work.. Which is where I'd love to use
DNSMasq as setting that up is easy compared to doing it via Bind.

Will DNSMasq handle this in some manner without too much issue? Also,
will I have to change much of my menus etc for it to work - or is it as
easy as I recall it being back in '07 or thereabouts?

Thanks in advance.