[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPDECLINE for static addresses

Graham Wood dnsmasq at spam.dragonhold.org
Tue Sep 18 11:45:05 BST 2012

I've hit a problem that seems a bit weird to me - affecting both
ubuntu and ESX4i clients (but not esx5i).  Apologies if this has been
covered before, but I've not found anything on google that is directly
related - just something that allowed me to work around the problem
long enough to decide it was my fault in the dnsmasq config and not
somewhere else...

The following are the snippets of the config file that I believe are
relevant.  Normally this would be behind a DHCP Relay, which is why
I'm specifying everything - for this testing, I've got it running on
the same subnet.

--
####################################
# Networks

####################################
# Clients
dhcp-host=set:intel,00:25:b5:00:00:7f,lab-esx1

####################################
# Boot options
dhcp-option=tag:intel,67,gpxelinux.0
dhcp-option-force=tag:intel,208,f1:00:74:7e
dhcp-option-force=tag:intel,210,"http://repo.alabs.datacom.co.nz/"

--

Situation 1:
With the file as above, the ESX4i client downloads all the config

Situation 2:
If I disable the "dhcp-range" line, and change back to the "static"
version that I'm using normally - ESX4i (during the kickstart stage)
replies with a DHCPDECLINE message to the IP that it was happily using
above - and the kickstart fails.

I've not got the ubuntu client at the moment (it was a VM on esx5
before I downgraded), but it was respoding with a DHCPDECLINE too.

Sooo - the question is, what have I got wrong with the "static" that
is causing it to trigger a DHCPDECLINE?

Thanks in advance, this has been doing my head in for hours (it
doesn't help that the ESX4i boot requires 80MB be transferred to get
to the error message)

Graham