[Dnsmasq-discuss] Repeated assignment, ignored dhcp-host, and failed DNS lookup

Lovelady, Dennis E. dlovelady1 at dtcc.com
Tue Oct 9 12:22:54 BST 2012

>> How would I know if a rogue DHCP server has appeared on the net?
>
> I don't think it's likely, at the moment. My guess is that the DHCP server
> is at the same IP address on both the networks, and when the machine
> came back up, it sent the DHCPINFORM to the DHCP server address, then
> took the response as confirmation that the lease was still valid.
> This is a bit of a gray area, but the client isn't strictly allowed to do that:
> it should send a DHCPREQUEST. (strictly, it should entry
> INIT-REBOOT state)

You should give yourself more credit, Simon!  :)

Turns out, my ISP had replaced the modem/router while I was away (this is in an apartment, and the leasing office let the tech in while I was at my real home, and I had complained to the ISP about intermittent connection).  Of course, that device had its own DHCP by default.  Prompted by your query, I found and resolved the issue quickly by disabling that DHCP and using

	ifconfig /release; service network restart

(or equivalent) on all devices.

Thanks so much for your guidance; this was one that didn't make any sense to me at all, until my eyes were opened again.

Dennis