[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can use sub-directories in addn-hosts?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Oct 17 22:46:29 BST 2012

I've been successfully using a directory of files in conjunction with
the --addn-hosts parameter.  (Dnsmasq successfully reads all files in
the directory.)  Very useful feature!

However, for my application it would be extremely useful if dnsmasq were
able to use subdirectories of the --addn-hosts dir - i.e., if it could
read all files in any subdirectory of the --addn-hosts dir.

Is it possible to do this - or somehow simulate this - with dnsmasq?

Note that for my application, it wouldn't be sufficient to just specify
each subdirectory as a separate --addn-hosts dir at run time - the
subdirectories would be created and deleted dynamically after dnsmasq
starts.  (The intent is that I would issue a SIGHUP to the dnsmasq
process and have it read any new subdirectories, and process any files
within it.)

TIA,

DR