[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPINFORM not handled correctly

Ibens Wouter Wouter.Ibens at technicolor.com
Mon Nov 5 12:17:02 GMT 2012

Hi,

While performing some tests with dnsmasq I found out that DHCPINFORM messages are not processed as RFC2131 specifies. In the case a client with an active lease sends a DHCPINFORM message, dnsmasq sends an ACK with the lease time included. This behavior is coded in rfc2131.c lines 1402-1406, however the RFC states;

"Servers receiving a DHCPINFORM message construct a DHCPACK message with any local configuration parameters appropriate for the client without: allocating a new address, checking for an existing binding, filling in 'yiaddr' or including lease time parameters."

I wonder whether there are valid reasons for this alternative behavior.

Kind regards,
Wouter