[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq identification

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Nov 6 18:16:39 GMT 2012

On 11/05/2012 02:50 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 05/11/12 18:18, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> Libvirt currently intends not require updating to some recent version of
>> dnsmasq.  Currently, that means besides 2.63, they want to handle
>> situations where dnsmasq-2.48 and dnsmasq-2.59 are installed on the
>> system.
>>
>> 1.  What is a "good" way to identify what services are supported by a
>> running dnsmasq.  The one currently planned is to do "dnsmasq
>> --version", capture the output, and check the version id.
>
> You can query the version via DNS too
>
> dig chaos txt version.bind

Interesting bit of functionality, but I think it would be overkill for
Gene's purpose - he's just learning the dnsmasq version on the local
machine so he can make an intelligent decision about whether or not
dnsmasq can be used to do IPv6 RA for libvirt networks (libvirt
currently uses radvd for that purpose). libvirt does something similar
for qemu by running "qemu-kvm -help" and parsing the output (although
the latest qemu has a better mechanism for conveying that information).

>> 2. What version do you feel has good, solid support for statefull
>> (enable-ra) and stateless (ra-only)?  As I first cut, I am guessing
>> 2.60.
>
> Check the CHANGELOG. Given that's newish code, I'd use the latest
> version I could.

When given the choice, yes. But the purpose of Gene's exercise is to
assure that libvirt "does the right thing" with whatever happens to be
on the machine where it's installed, which may be considerably aged
(e.g. CentOS/RHEL 5.x is at dnsmasq-2.45, and CentOS/RHEL 6 is at
dnsmasq-2.48)