[Dnsmasq-discuss] Setting netmask via /etc/ethers

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 12 15:19:17 GMT 2012

On 11/11/12 11:26, Eldon Ziegler wrote:
> We use /etc/ethers to set IP addresses dynamically. Is there a way to
> set the netmask along with the IP address? If not, I would like to
> request an upgrade.

Hmm, netmask is a per-subnet parameter, rather than a per-host one. It
doesn't normally make sense  to set it differently for different host on
the network, so /etc/ethers is not a good place to put it.

The subnet _is_ controlled by DHCP, and dnsmasq normally decides it
automatically (it uses the netmask on the local interface that dnsmasq
to talk to the subnet, basically) but you can override it with extra
arguments to dhcp-range if you need to.