[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq for road warriors

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Nov 12 19:40:26 GMT 2012

On 11/11/2012 23:05, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 08:34:38PM +0000, Ed W wrote:
>> Try:
>>      http://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv
> Eww, no. That's a kludge, and again, it totally misses the point of
> this dnsmasq instance exclusively providing DNS to local processes.
> This was brought to the dnsmasq mailing list for a reason: I am
> indeed using dnsmasq.

I think you need to look more closely

It's a complete environment, including hooks, for tracking resolv.conf
entries per connection.  It then dynamically merges them and handles
interfaces arriving/leaving.

It comes complete with dnsmasq integration and uses dbus to indicate changes

Basically, it's all the hooks you were about to write...

Note, I would also commend dhcpcd by the same author.  It's a full
featured dhcp client which can pretty much replace almost all your
networking scripts and dynamically bring up and configure every
interface on your system (and I mean really properly everything... It's
brought up a couple of firewire interfaces on my box that I didn't even
realise were there...).  Very pluggable and capable of being used in a
much less capable way, but do also consider it as your one stop shop for
configuring the entire networking stack...

Good luck

Ed W