[Dnsmasq-discuss] RA support in dnsmasq

John Brendler brendlerjg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:22:25 GMT 2012

> Hi Gene,
> Instead of deprecating/turning-off logging by facility, it would be
> better to have ability to tune loglevel for each sysbsystem.
> Like following: where 0 means
> 	log-level=dhcp,dhcpv6,6,dns,7,ra,-1
>
> Best Regards, Vladislav Grishenko

++

Recording or ignoring certain messages is the function of a syslog
daemon.  If people are annoyed by certain log messages, they can
resolve that within syslog.

Having said that, I agree that highly granular configurability of
logging within dnsmasq would be useful, but setting loglevel by dnsmasq
function (e.g. dhcp, dns, etc.) may not be the answer.  As Gene said,
errors and warnings should always be logged.

Maybe the essence of the problem is simply that the loglevel for RA
type messages is at an inappropriate level (e.g., is at "notice" (5) or
"info" (6) loglevel when maybe it should be at "debug" (7) loglevel.  I
think that may be enough of a solution.