[Dnsmasq-discuss] allowing interface names as parameters to 'alias' option

dnsmasq at lists.bod.org dnsmasq at lists.bod.org
Tue Nov 27 07:29:12 GMT 2012

Quick suggestion: how hard would it be to enhance the 'alias' option to
understand interface names, as well as IP addresses? In other words, be
able to write something like:

    alias = eth0, br0

or

    alias = eth0, 192.168.1.10

instead of

    alias = 86.30.247.112, 192.168.1.10

This would be particularly useful if it could transparently cope with an
interface's IP address changing, e.g. a WAN interface with a dynamic IP
address.

Some background: I run a few services on my server at home (e.g.
asterisk) where latency matters. The rest is hosted, along with my DNS
records. Without an 'alias' line like those above, DNS lookups will
return the public IP address of my router to my LAN clients too, and so
they'll send all the traffic through the router.

While that's rather inefficient (routing traffic between two nodes on
the same Gb network through a soho router), it also means that ports I
purposely don't forward from the public internet also don't get
forwarded for LAN clients.

Luckily I'm running custom router firmware and have a static IP, so I'm
able to add that line manually to dnsmasq.conf on the router. But it'd
be nice if distributions could incorporate something like this as
standard, to compliment port forwarding/'DMZ server'-type features.

Just a thought,

- Paul