[Dnsmasq-discuss] RA support in dnsmasq

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Nov 30 15:54:09 GMT 2012

On 11/29/2012 04:18 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 29/11/12 20:31, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>
>> I spoke too quickly.
>>
>> The cause of the problem is libvirt related but I am not sure what just
>> yet.
>>
>> I was running a libvirt that had a lot of "stuff" on it but seemed to
>> work OK. Then, earlier today I update to a point that appears to be
>> somewhat beyond the leading edge and, although I was not getting any
>> RTR-ADVERT messages, it turned out that there were/are big-time problems
>> running qemu-kvm. So, back off/downgrade to the previous version.
>> Qemu-kvm now works but the RTR-ADVERT messages are back.
>>
>> This may be a bit time-consuming to debug!
>>

> Are you seeing the new log message in netlink.c?

The good news is that libvirt is working again (I must have done a
git-pull in the middle of an update).  Thus, I am not seeing the large
numbers of RTR-ADVERT.

Yes, I am seeing the new log message and I have a question about that.
Every time a new virtual network interface is started, something must be
doing some type of broadcast because all of the dnsmasq instances (the
new one and all the "old" ones) suddenly wake up and issue a flurry of
RA packets and related syslog messages.  To kick the flurry off, there
one of the new "unsolicited" syslog messages from each dnsmasq instance.

Is this something you would expect?  Is this "normal?"  The libvirt
folks they are not doing it.

Gene