[Dnsmasq-discuss] force --local/--server protocol

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:51:00 GMT 2013

> Dnsmasq always uses TCP to connect to the upstream server when it gets a
> DNS request via TCP, and the same for UDP. If you can control what
> protocol your clients use, the problem is solved. If you can't, then the
> problem is very difficult, since changing the dnsmasq code to
> mix-and-match TCP and UDP would be rather difficult.

Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the case.

I cannot control the requests coming from the client machines to dnsmasq
- they all use UDP. The underlying DNS server, however, can only utilise
TCP, so I was hoping that dnsmasq would be able to query the DNS server
using TCP, but respond to the client, which is on different - internal -
interface using UDP. If I understand you correctly, this wont be
possible with dnsmasq, is that the case?