[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can dnsmasq provide an IP address for 'itself'?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jan 4 13:36:15 GMT 2013

On 04/01/13 13:32, Chris Green wrote:
> I suspect the answer is no, but one never knows.
>
> Can dnsmasq provide an IP address (in its DHCP server guise) for the
> system that it's running on?  This would then avoid the need for
> changing the guts of the network interfaces to give the system a static
> address.
>
> If this should be obvious from the docs somewhere then, sorry, but I
> couldn't find it.

Short answer: no. The DHCP server won't work if the local interface
doesn't have an IP address. I don't think there's an absolute reason why
a DHCP server couldn't be written to do this, but the configuration
philosophy would have to be very different to the one used by dnsmasq.
(As an example, there can be more than one dhcp-range: dnsmasq uses the
IP address(es) of the arrival interface to decide _which_ dhcp-ranges
are valid for this request.)