[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to get back to default Network Manager dnsmasq (local DNS cache only)?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 9 14:27:03 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 09:17:21AM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 14:16 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > A while ago I turned off the Network Manager loading of dnsmasq on my
> > desktop machine and installed a 'real' dnsmasq so that my desktop
> > machine could be the DNS server for the local LAN.
> >
> > To do this I commented out the dns=dnsmasq line in
> > /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf,
> > installed dnsmasq (apt-get install dnsmasq) and configured
> > /etc/dnsmasq.conf. This all worked OK but I've now decided that I want
> > to revert to the default setup and I can't work out how to do it.
> >
> > I have uncommented the dns=dnsmasq and I have uninstalled dnsmasq but
> > there's no dnsmasq running.  The dnsmasq-base package *is* still
> > installed but there's no dnsmasq running after rebooting.
>
> Does the 'dnsmasq' package only include the generic config file
> (eg /etc/dnsmasq.conf)?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  The dnsmasq-base package
just has the executable and not much else I think, it doesn't include
/etc/dnsmasq.conf.  Network Manager runs dnsmasq with its own
configuration file (somewher down /var I think).

> Also, NM needs a restart to see the dns=dnsmasq change, but I'll assume
> you've done that already.  We can get more debuginfo from NetworkManager
> by running this command:
>
> sudo dbus-send --system --print-reply
> --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.SetLogging string:"debug" string:""

OK, I have done this command.

> which tells NM to start logging at the debug level.  Then reconnect the
> network or do something that would cause DNS to be updated, and look

Not so easy that is it?  I.e. what's going to update DNS except for my
machine rebooting and asking for things via DHCP etc.?

> at /var/log/messages, /var/log/NetworkManager.log,
> or /var/log/daemon.log (or wherever syslog's 'daemon' facility gets
> directed).
>
> To turn off debug logging, use "info" instead of "debug" in the above
> dbus-send command.

Before doing the above all I saw (relating to dnsmasq) in
/var/log/syslog was a message saying the plugin had been loaded.
There's *nothing* after that - but on the working system there's loads
of stuff about dnsmasq starting etc.

Is it possible/easy to turn on NetworkManager logging at boot time, it
might be easier then to have logging on when dnsmasq is started.

--
Chris Green