[Dnsmasq-discuss] A ipv6 address is given twice

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:48:27 GMT 2013

On 09/01/13 14:36, e9hack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I configure a few fixed ipv6 address, like
> "dhcp-host=id:00:01:02:03:04:05:06:07:08:09:0a:0b:0c:0d,Netbook,[fec0:0:0:ffff:0:0:ffff:10]".
> If the machine is connect with two interfaces to the network, both interfaces get the same
> ipv6 address. Windows 8 runs on the machine. It occurs during setup the configuration for
> OpenVPN. The real NIC and the tunnel adapter did got the same ipv6 address. Usually this
> will not occur, because I activate OpenVPN only, if I haven't a local network (WLAN)
> connection.

In DHCPv6 the identity of an interface doesn't depend on the MAC
address, like it does in DHCPv4, it depends on DUID and IAID values.

It's possible that the client is using the same DUID and IAID for both
interfaces, which would cause this behaviour.

Please could you switch on dhcp logging in dnsmasq and post or send me
the results of bringing up both interfaces?