[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: Need help making dnsmasq start even if eth0 not available

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:42:09 GMT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Cossé <ccosse at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Need help making dnsmasq start even if eth0
not available
To: Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>

Thanks Simon,
I fixed my problem before ever trying your suggestion ... since I'm on a
Gentoo Linux system I also asked on Gentoo forums, and the answer I got
there fixed it the way I want ... the answer was:

1) edit /etc/init.d/dnsmasq to depend on net.wlan0 instead of just net
2) rc_depend_strict="NO" in /etc/rc.conf

Together these two changes fixed my problem.

Thank you,
Charles

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>wrote:

> On 03/02/13 17:52, Charles Cossé wrote:
> > Hello, I have a computer configured as a router.  eth0 is connected to
> > upstream and wlan0 is the target interface of dnsmasq.   When dnsmasq
> > starts it always tries to bring up eth0, and if eth0 times-out getting
> > an IP via dhcp (either unplugged or other reason) then dnsmasq fails and
> > I can't connect to the router wirelessly for maintenance.  Is there a
> > way to get dnsmasq to continue starting even if eth0 fails to obtain an
> > ip?  Thank you!  -Charles
> >

> Is dnsmasq configured with the "bind-interfaces" flag. If so, remove
> that, or replace it with "bind-dynamic" if you have a new-enough dnsmasq.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

AsymptopiaSoftware|Software at theLimit
          http://www.asymptopia.org