[Dnsmasq-discuss] Intermittent DNSMASQ resolution failures

Stuart Wilson swilson.62 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:32:22 GMT 2013

Hi,

I have noticed lately on several machines using the local cable ISP in
my neck of the woods, that using the DHCP supplied DNS servers from my
ISP is significantly slower than using a global DNS service like
OpenDNS. With that in mind I configured the Linux box I use at home to
use OpenDNS. It was working great, until I decided to fix it by adding
DNSMASQ as a local caching server to lighten the load. It works fine
most of the time, but sometimes I get intermittent failures to resolve
names. At first I just noticed delays getting to some websites, and
occasionally it would fail entirely. At times though it became
unacceptable and failed a lot. So, I started testing name resolution in
a shell using the "host" command, and found that it did indeed sometimes
give me a ";; connection timed out; no servers could be reached" error.
When I specifically ask the host command to query the OpenDNS server
directly, bypassing DNSMASQ, it never fails and is always very fast.

I got really curious about this and captured some packets with
Wireshark. First of a host query going through DNSMASQ that failed, and
then one going directly to the DNS server. I did indeed get no reply
back on the query that failed. The only difference I could find between
the packets being sent to OpenDNS by DNSMASQ, and those going direclty
from the OS to OpenDNS, is that the queries that failed from DNSMASQ had
the DF (don't fragment) bit set. Now it is quite possible I'm missing
something here, but it occurs to me that my using DNS servers half way
across the internet, rather than right down the street at the local ISP,
could be causing packets with the DF bit set to get dropped. Is there
any way to tell DNSMASQ to not set the DF bit? Can anyone think of
another reason why this is failing for me?
--

/*Regards,
Stuart

*/