[Dnsmasq-discuss] using only DHCP and propagating upstream nameservers

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 10:25:49 GMT 2013

--- On Sat, 2/16/13, Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Ondřej Grover <ondrej.grover at gmail.com>
Subject: [Dnsmasq-discuss] using only DHCP and propagating upstream nameservers
To: dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk
Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013, 1:24 PM

Hello,

I'd like to use dnsmasq only as a DHCP server, so I set port=0.
However, once I acquire an IP via DHCP, the address of the dnsmasq server still ends up in /etc/resolv.conf, so DNS stops working.

My goal is to propagate the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf on the dnsmasq server to the other downstream servers.

My motivation is to try to forward DNS requests directly to the upstream servers, because I suspect my server with dnasmasq actually isn't performing fast enough.

Kind regards,

Ondrej Grover

>>> Shantanu >>>

Hi Ondřej,
You should check out the 'dhcp-option' directive. Option value '6'.

Something like:
dhcp-option=6,<ip_of_upstream_dns1>,ip_of_upstream_dns2>

Instead of '6', you can use the phrase 'dns-server' as well:

dhcp-option=dns-server,<ip_of_upstream_dns1>,ip_of_upstream_dns2>

If this option is not specified, then the IP of the dnsmasq server is handed out to the dhcp client.

Regards,
Shantanu