[Dnsmasq-discuss] using dnsmasq for dns/dhcp with minimal dynamic changes to dns

Nathaniel Cohen ncohen at ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 1 04:04:55 GMT 2013

Hi -- I'm new to dnsmasq.  I've read through the docs but not yet configured the service for my environment.  I'll be using dnsmasq to manage dhcp and dns for a small network.

I've got a simple question but wasn't able to figure out the answer from the docs.  I need all the locally managed dns names under the purview of dnsmasq to be resolvable at all times -- regardless of the state of the client dhcp transactions/nic.  Is there a good pattern to do this without having to duplicate the host <-> ip address mapping information in more than one place …?

eg: If I use a set of entries like this:

dhcp-host=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, somedns, 10.10.1.1,  12h

Will somedns always resolve to 10.10.1.1 (and the reverse resolution from 10.10.1.1 to somedns) even if the dhcp client with that mac address is offline and/or has never performed a dhcp request …?

Hopefully my question is clear.  Many thanks!

Ben

Nathaniel Cohen
Programmer/Analyst (SIO/STS)
ncohen at ucsd.edu