[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq does not seem to randomize resolvers

Sjors Gielen sjors at sjorsgielen.nl
Wed Mar 6 17:32:59 GMT 2013

Op 04-03-13 00:29, Ed W schreef:
> Dnsmasq by default queries all dnsservers simultaneously and locks onto the one which gives the fastest response (rechecking every few queries or every 60 seconds - or some numbers like that)
>
> So I guess it's just bad luck that the fastest resolver has a bad record?

Thanks for your response. In my tests the two main resolvers were both equally fast (≈ 1 ms as they had the results cached), so even though one may be a tiny bit quicker than the other, I doubt it would be an explanation for it choosing a specific server 19 out of 20 times. Though it would be interesting to verify this; is there some debug option that shows dnsmasq's train of thought?

> Using strictorder should prove that this is the case?

What do you mean here?

Thanks,
Sjors