[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.65 doesn't recognize any IP with an iproute2 address label

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 21:16:03 GMT 2013

On 06/03/13 19:52, Patrick McLean wrote:

> It appears that dnsmasq doesn't recognize any IP that is configured with an address label (via the "label" option in ip addr when adding the IP).
> When an interface has 1 labeled IP, dnsmasq just prints this message whenever a dhcp packet comes in to that interface:
>
> Mar  1 21:47:24 dnsmasq-dhcp[30099]: DHCP packet received on eth0 which has no address
> Mar  1 21:47:27 dnsmasq-dhcp[30099]: DHCP packet received on eth0 which has no address
>
> Removing the label from the interface makes things work as expected.

My reading of the code is that there has to be at least one unlabeled
address on the interface, which is treated, in some sense, as the
"primary address". If you have one unlabeled address and others with
labels, the labeled addresses should still work, in the sense that you
can assign addresses to clients from the corresponding subnets.

The primary address is used for things like the server-id when client#s
subnet is not connected to the server, but comes via a relay. There are
other ways that this could be organised, but it's not obvious to me what
the best way to change it is.