[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows7 does not get IPv6 via WiFi

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Mar 25 20:35:16 GMT 2013

On 23/03/13 18:51, Conrad Kostecki wrote:
> Am 20.03.2013 22:58, schrieb Simon Kelley:
>>> [..]

>>> No. I get via wire interface XXXX:YYY:ZZZZ:23::3 and via wireless
>>> interface XXXX:YYY:ZZZZ:42::3. So they are different.

>>> I've installed 2.66_test23. But it didn't help :/
>>>

>> I went back to your original report and looked at the logs. It seems
>> that the client does eventually accept the advertised address and get a
>> lease (  at 21:34:54 ). Does that address (2001:470:7173:42::2) not turn
>> up on the client?
>
> It seems to be very slow. I've checked this now. It takes about 1-2
> minutes before Windows shows a IPv6-address after DNSMasq logged this.
>
> Could be this normal?

Not normal, I think. Two possible reasons why it might happen.

1) Packet loss on wireless link: the DHCP protocol can take a long time
to recover.

2) Another DHCP server on the network. If that's replying to
DHCPSOLICITS but not DCHPREPLYs then it may take the client some time
to accept the offer from dnsmasq and not another server.

Both of these are clutching at straws, I don't really know what's
happening here.

Simon.