[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 support missing in "dhcp_release" and "dhcp_lease_time" tools

Tomas Hozza thozza at redhat.com
Tue Apr 23 08:36:54 BST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 21/04/13 16:40, Tomas Hozza wrote:
> > Hi Simon.
> >
> > I just noticed that tools in "contrib/wrt", specifically
> > dhcp_release and dhcp_lease_time  don't support IPv6. We ship
> > those tools as part of dnsmasq subpackage in Fedora. Do you
> > have any plans to provide support for IPv6 in those tools
> > or to provide their IPv6 equivalents?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tomas Hozza
> >

> DHCPv6 is a whole different protocol, and the hacks used by those tools
> don't read-across well to it. For instance you can't use MAC addresses
> to identify leases, in fact you can't easily get a handle of a
> particular interface at all, since even a client-id,
> interface-adaptor-id pair my be associated with more than one lease,
> each of which has a different lease time.

I know that it is not that easy. That's why I asked and didn't sent a patch. :)

> Do you have an application in mind for this? If so it's worth thinking
> about how to do it properly (Maybe via DBUS?).

We were just checking usage of IPv4 only functions in network daemons
packages. The only application I have for this is that those tools are
used by some dnsmasq users. Since dnsmasq supports IPv6 I assume there
will be some users asking for IPv6 support.

Maybe at least some notice in dhcp_lease_time and dhcp_release man pages
that they support only IPv4 addresses would be good.

> Looking that this, I did realise that the existing DHCPv4
> dhcp_lease_time tool got broken in release 2.64, and I've fixed that for
> 2.67.

Great. Thanks.

Regards,

Tomas Hozza