[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to set timeout on upstream DNS server connections

Geoff Meakin sharkymail at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 13:25:36 BST 2013

Hi, I've searched for the answer to this, but can't find anything useful.

I have a multi-vagrant VM local environment setup, using dnsmasq to find
services on it, delegating to a VM DNS server where necessary. It works
like a dream except for:

Part of my DNSmasq configuration is to do this:

server=/1.2.10.in-addr.arpa/10.2.1.2

For reverse DNS lookups.

However, sometimes the VM at 10.2.1.2 is not up, or not needed, in which
case it is frustrating that lots of services which do reverse-dns lookups
are extremely slow, as DNSmasq takes ~20s to return from trying to connect.

Is there a way of configuring DNSmasq to timeout DNS lookups to certain
servers after shorter amounts of time?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

--
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now,
quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers..."